Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Excited, Nervous and Everything in Between.

Last night, I received a phone call from someone who adopted in the county next to us as nobody in the Adoptive Parents network had adopted via county adoption in our county. Well, anywho.. I feel so prepared, yet so nervous and scattered for tomorrow's informational meeting. She broke down the process a little bit and told us what to expect and whatnot.

TOMORROW night - thats right, my countdown is basically over already - is our Adoption Orientation meeting with the Alameda County Social Services Adoption Agency in Oakland, CA. I am so overwhelmed with many emotions. We were told to expect the following:

1. You're going to get A LOT of overwhelming information. Be sure that one of you is designated to "note taking" and one is designated to absorbing and processing information. I think Nate will be better at the absorbing part, but thats because I whole heartily go into something and I mostly hear what I want to hear. He's our logic.

2. Bring a notebook to write, and a folder to store information sheets. Don't forget pens, social security cards, marriage certificates, birth certificates JUST IN CASE you need them.

3. They will talk about what classes you need to take; parenting classes, CPR, ect

4. Your placement is on average 2-9mo but could be longer if you're picky (IE: you want a caucasian baby only, and its gotta be a girl)

5. Get your family involved ASAP. You're going to need their support.

6. You will need to have essentials set up by the time your home study happens [in my county thats the rule] including crib, mattress, car seat and stroller.. and of course clothes and such. <-- talk about overwhelming! we won't know what age or gender our baby will be so its going to be harder for me to set up a nursery.



More tomorrow night, or maybe on Friday about how the meeting went. Can't wait for this journey to FULLY get the show on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment